Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Saying goodbye to Daisy

On January 2nd 2017 our sweet dog Daisy passed away suddenly.She was totally fine up until the day she died. We had taken the kids swimming and when we got home she wanted outside. She laid in the snow and couldn't get back up.  I noticed she was struggling to breath. We assumed she swallowed a raw hide or something. We carried her to the car and drove her to Countryside Vet clinic right away. Once there they had 2 vets working and taking x-rays to see what was going on. They discovered that she had a tumor on her heart and it had filled with fluid which was making it hard to breath. It had also spread to her spleen. There was nothing we could do to save her. I was of course crying uncontrollably. I sent Grant home to get the kids so they could come say goodbye to Daisy. I went back and was sitting with her. They had her on oxygen to help her breath. Within about 5 minutes, she just stopped breathing. I lost it at this point. It all happened so fast and I wasn't ready!! I couldn't believe all this was happening to us!! Daisy was only 8 years old, it didn't seem old enough to die. 
The entire staff was so kind and sympathetic to our family. They placed us in a grieving room where we could all say our goodbyes. It was so hard watching each child try to understand and grieve. Carter took it the hardest. After a couple hours, we had to say our final goodbyes to the worlds best dog!! We had her cremated so that we can give her a proper burial in the spring. We also had a mold of her paw made that they place with a picture of her. Its been so hard having her gone. I make dinner and she isn't there begging for food. Grant gets home from work and she isn't the first one running to greet him. She has always been there!! She was the most loyal loving, patient dog who could cure any kids fear of dogs. She didn't have a mean bone in her body. Our trips to the river wont be the same without her now. Our family isn't complete.  We all miss her, but especially me. I cried non stop for almost 3 days. Time has helped but I still miss her every day. I never realized the joy a dog could bring a family, and I am so thankful for the 8 amazing years we had with Daisy!! 

This was the picture I sent Grant the day we found Daisy at Petco Adoption Days for the Pound. It was love at first site!! 











These are just a few on the many many pictures we have of Daisy over the years. She will be missed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment