This is a talk I gave in church on July 30th 2017
Its a talk I want to remember for when future trials come my way, because we all know they will... I can go back and read this again.
Bishop asked me to speak today on how to keep the faith while
going through trials. This is a subject I have been very excited to speak on,
not because I love my trials by any means, but because I have learned so much
in the process.
On March 4th 2016 our then, 4 year old son was
diagnosed with juvenile diabetes. It wasn’t a new thing for me, I grew up with
a type 1 diabetic dad my entire life, but being the caregiver for one 24/7 was
a whole new ballgame. I stayed strong though. I fought the good fight and did
what I had to, to keep my son alive and as healthy as possible. I had moments
of depression where It seemed like things would never get easier, but for the
most part I handled the change pretty well. I felt like if I just stayed busy
then I could prove that the disease didn’t beat me. I continued to serve in my
calling, I continued volunteering in my kids school classes and serving on the
pto board. I went into this superwoman mode where I felt I had something to
prove, but didn’t realize it at the time. Then all of the sudden in what seemed
like overnight I was hit with a severe anxiety issue. It really crept on slowly
over the year but I always felt it was situational and would go away as soon as
I finished this or that that I was stressing over. I kept pushing and going
because I didn’t know what else to do. Eventually the anxiety became too severe
I was afraid to leave my own house. I would go for walks to help with the
attacks but was afraid to walk beyond my own block. I had fallen into a dark
fog of fear. It felt like I would be this way for the rest of my life! I lost
who I was. I felt alone, afraid and hopeless. I didn’t realize that my savior
was by my side the entire time. I want to speak to you today about a few of the
lessons I have learned in the last few months as I have battled a trial beyond
anything I have ever had before.
#1:BLESSINGS & PRAYER WORK: I remember one Sunday just
crying and pleading with my heavenly Father to remove this burden from me. I
didn’t understand what was happening to me and so I didn’t know who to ask for
help from or even how to ask for help. I just told my Heavenly Father to send
me an angel because I didn’t know what to do. That night Grant asked bishop to
come give me a blessing. After his blessing was the first moment of peace I had
felt in a long time! I was able to sleep that night too. The next morning my
phone rang, I debated answering it but did. It was sister Susie John asking if
she could visit me. My first reaction was to find an excuse because I didn’t
want anyone so see me like this, but a voice popped into my head saying “maybe
she is the angel you prayed for.” I agreed to have her come over. When she came
she brought me a bag of apples and then went on to explain how she had received
a strong prompting to come visit me. I began to cry realizing that Heavenly
Father really did hear my prayer, and he sent the angel I had prayed for. I
knew she was prepared too because she knew exactly what I needed to hear and
she listened to my worries. It was the first time in my life where I truly saw
the answer to a prayer so clearly. There has been many times since that day
that I needed a friend and sister John was there no matter what I needed she
was willing. Heavenly Father knew she was exactly who I needed at that time.
#2 WHEN WE GO THRU TRIALS, ITS OK TO ASK FOR HELP!
I have a really hard time asking for help. I have had times in
my life where I needed help and no one showed up. After that I stopped asking
because I didn’t want to face possible rejection. When my anxiety became bad
though, it was a job beyond what just I or grant could handle. I had several
people to came to our aid. People like the Bybees who would take my little boys
for a couple hours so I could have a break. Sister Nancy Chandler who let me
use some of her oils to help with the anxiety, bishop and the Nebeker’s who
came and gave council and blessings. Sister Stevenson bought me some herbal tea
and offered to help with my kids. The list goes on and on with people who
brought in food, send text and encouraging messages. I felt like I had an
entire army of support and it was amazing!
#3 NO MATTER HOW BAD IT GETS, WE CAN ALWAYS FIND EVEN ONE RAY
OF SUNLIGHT IN THE DARKNESS
I learned early on to try and find my little successes in my day
so that I didn’t feel like a total failure. One day I was pretty anxious and it
seemed the only thing I could do was walk. Maddox begged to go with me so I let
him but my mind was racing a million miles an hour so I wasn’t paying him much
attention. Then I noticed he was just smiling and chatting away, not even
noticing that I wasn’t listening or responding to him. I realized in that
moment, that Maddox didn’t see this walk as “mommy is having an anxiety attack”
he saw it as “ mommy and I are going on a walk together” It was alone quality
time with me. Even though I had very little I could give as a mom, my kids
loved me!! Every day since, no matter how bad things seemed, I could find
something good. Like, I unloaded the dishes today, or I went outside and
watched the kids play. It was usually small simple things; but as the
scriptures say, by small and simple things, great things come to pass.
#4 ITS OK FOR PEOPLE TO SEE US WEAK, IT MAKES US HUMAN!
Sister John mentioned that day when she visited me, that I
didn’t seem like the type of person who needed help. She felt I was the type of
person who had it all together. I could only laugh because I have never seen
myself as being that type of person. I always try to stay strong because I
didn’t feel I had any other option and didn’t need a pity party, but I have
always secretly hoped people would notice when I needed help and just step in.
I realized that day that I need to be better at being vulnerable. No one is
immune from trials and weaknesses. They are what make us human! Hopefully now
that your all hearing this talk that you realize this too. J
#5 CHIRST IS ALWAYS THERE!
I have had days where sadly I would pray and ask Heavenly
Father why he wasn’t helping me, why my trial wasn’t going away! Then one day I
found a picture of my Grandmother who passed away last year. In this picture
she was holding Maddox when he was less than a week old. She had this look of
pure love on her face and she gazed at him. Then a thought appeared in my mind
as if to say “ I look at you with this same love. I have been here and holding
you up so you could make it through this hard time.” I became very emotional as
the spirit confirmed to me that I had never been alone. Not only had Christ
always been there, but that angels from both sides of the veil have been there
too. Loving me, supporting me, and getting me though. We have to choose to
acknowledge for ourselves though. We have no idea how many times in our lives
we have been blessed and didn’t even realize the heavenly angels who saved us.
When I cry I know my savior cries because he knows better than anyone else the
pain we feel. When we laugh, he laughs because he loves to see us happy. In
every tiny detail of our lives, our Savior is there by our sides and always
will be.
#6 WHEN WE ARE SICK,
HEAVENLY FATHER EXPECTS US TO GET PROFESSIONAL HELP.
I love Elder Hollands conference talk entitled “Like a Broken
Vessel” Even before I struggled with anxiety, it was my favorite talk. In his
talk states. “seek the advice of reputable people with certified training,
professional skills, and good values. Be honest with them about your history
and your struggles. Prayerfully and responsibly consider the counsel they give
and the solutions they prescribe. If you had appendicitis, God would expect you
to seek a priesthood blessing and get the best medical care
available. So too with emotional disorders. Our Father in Heaven expects us to
use all of the marvelous gifts He has provided in this
glorious dispensation.”
I took this counsel serious. Not only did I get many
priesthood blessings, but I also sought the counsel of my doctor. I asked
advice from those who I knew also struggled with what I was struggling with. I
met with a counselor a couple times which was very helpful! I started for the
first time in probably my life as a mother, making time for me!! I didn’t even
know what my hobbies were anymore. It was a slow process overcoming the mommy
guilt but boy has it been therapeutic! I started meditating, which I know to
some people sounds funny, but for me it works. I have been able to focus and
ponder and figure out the roots of my anxiety so I could make the personal
changes necessary to get better again. I
was willing to try everything and anything.
#7 NO MATTER WHAT TYPE OF TRIAL WE HAVE, WE NEED
OUR SAVIOR.
When we go thru trials in life we have two choices. 1. Be
angry with God for allowing this horrible thing to happen. Blame him and pull
away. Or #2, Come unto Christ, realize that with him by our side, we can
overcome anything. This doesn’t mean that it’s all the sudden easy because you
turn to Christ though. Many times we need our trials to stretch us into who God
knows we can become. We need to experience certain things for one reason or
another. Sometimes bad stuff just happens because of the fallen world we live
in. As much as I have hated this trial I
am dealing with right now, I can honestly say I have never been closer to my
savior in my entire life! My prayers are more meaningful, my scripture study
isn’t just a task to check off my to do list, but a spiritual feast. I have had
dozens of prayers answered and lessoned learned as I have studied the book of
Mormon this time around. I don’t just pray morning and night and for my food,
but I have a continual prayer in my heart at all times. I know my savior knows
exactly how I feel right now because he suffered all things in the Garden of
Gethsemane. There isn’t a pain in this life that we can experience that he has
not. He knows all loss all pain, all suffering, all loneliness. He knows it
all. No one can understand what we go through more than our savior. No struggle
is too big or too small to turn to him. If
you are struggling today in your life, I plead with you, turn to your Savior!
He is patiently waiting your prayer and is eagerly waiting to help.
One day I was praying, and in my prayer I had a moment of
weakness. I was tired and worn down and ready to be done. I asked when this
trial would finally be over. Afterword’s I was reading in a general conference
talk by Elder L. Whitney Clayton from this last general Conference entitled “
Whatsoever He saith unto you, do it”. In the talk I read; “God asks us to bear
with Him—to trust Him and to follow Him. He pleads with us to “dispute not
because ye see not.” He cautions us that we shouldn’t expect easy answers or
quick fixes from heaven. Things work out when we stand firm during the “trial
of [our] faith,” however hard that test may be to endure or slow the answer may
be in coming.10 I
am not speaking of “blind obedience”11 but
of thoughtful confidence in the perfect love and the perfect timing of the
Lord.”
He goes on to say “The trial of our faith will always involve
staying true to simple, daily practices of faith. Then, and only then, does He
promise that we will receive the divine response for which we long. Only once
we have proven our willingness to do what He asks without demanding to know the
whens, the whys, and the hows do we “reap the rewards of [our] faith, and [our]
diligence, and patience, and long-suffering.”12 Real
obedience accepts God’s commandments unconditionally and in advance.13” end
quote
Boy was this a quick answer to my prayer, and a good rebuking
for my complaining too J I have
read in the scriptures time and time again the importance of having faith,
hope, patience and long suffering through our trials. It has become a theme for
me as I try to do as I am asked.
#8 SOMETIMES HEALING HURTS!
Have you every realized that sometimes in our trials, we cant
walk around but have to walk through the fire in order to get to the other
side? Its hard and it hurts. My daughter Ellie got a new scooter for her
birthday. The next day while racing her sister, she crashed. Both hands were
cut up and bleeding along with both elbows, both knees and up one side. Her
wounds were covered in dirt and gravel from the crash. I quickly went into
nurse mode and began to clean her up. She cried in pain and I cleaned the dirt
and gravel from her wounds. She begged me to stop, but I knew if I didn’t
properly clean her wounds she would become infected and the pain would be
worse. So I apologized and explained that this process what necessary for her
to heal properly. In that very moment Heavenly Father taught me a great lesson.
This is what its like for him and our savior when we struggle. We cry out in
pain and beg for it to end. As sad as it make them, they know that our “wounds must
be properly cleaned and treated in order to heal’ If we are patient, keep our
wounds properly bandaged and treated with the right medical treatments, than
eventually they will heal. Ellies scrapes and bruises took time to heal, some
of them are still healing but she is doing much better today. Sometimes healing
hurts and sometimes it takes a very long time to get better, but the Lord
promises us that someday it will be better!!
#9 MARRIAGE IS NOT A 50/50 DEAL!!
I know some of you are disagreeing with me right now but let
me explain. When bishop came to my house that Sunday evening, he visited with
Grant and I for a very long time. One piece of council he gave me was that
marriage is not always a 50/50 deal. Sometimes its 90/10 and that’s what
marriage is all about. When one person struggles, the other person steps up and
picks up the slack. I was feeling so much guilt because I wasn’t doing “my job”
Grant was doing all the cooking, the cleaning, the diabetic care. He was
putting kids to bed, doing the shopping, plus all his day job and church
duties. Bishop made me realize that there are times where that is ok! I
realized that Grant was happy to help. There are times when I step up and help
grant out too. That’s what marriage is all about! When I could, I would step in
and help. As I have been improving, I have been able to take on more and more
of my 50% again.
#10 THIS TOO SHALL PASS
I know that no matter what your going though, there comes a
day where you feel like things will never get better! Weather that’s your
health, you happiness, your financial situation, your career problems, whatever
your trial is, I know it feels like things will never get better. This is where
faith comes in. Christ has told us that they will! Even if that relief comes in
the next life instead of this one, it will get better. Like I stated earlier in
my talk, “by small and simple things, great things come to pass.” Baby steps.
Every day put one foot in front of the other. Every day choose to find even 1
things to be thankful for. Before you know it, you will be looking back and
realizing you made it!! In elder Hollands Talk “like a broken Vessel” he stake
that there is always hope with a capital H!
We all have our own individual trials of our faith. No one is
immune from struggle and pain. I promise you brothers and sisters that no
matter what your going thru right now, that it will get better! Tomorrow the
sun will rise. Good things will come if you just keep trying. Don’t give up,
don’t loose hope. Draw closer to your Savior than you ever have and he will
carry you.
No comments:
Post a Comment