I have started walking the greenbelt in the mornings before Grant leaves to work, and I take Daisy with me. It gives us both exercise and gives me time to myself to think and listen to my scriptures. First thing I noticed this morning was a monument of the 10 commandments just off the path. I felt blessed to live in a town that still has its core values and is willing to display the 10 commandments regardless of the select few who always make a fuss over them. Today I was listening to 1 Nephi chapter 8 about Lehi's vision of the tree of life. in vs. 26 he sees the large and spacious building. vs 27 says: And it was filled with people, both old and young, both male and female, and their manner of dress was exceedingly fine, and they were in the attitude of mocking and pointing their fingers towards those who had come at and were partaking of the fruit. 28 and after they had tasted of the fruit they were ashamed, because of those that were scoffing at them, and they fell away into forbidden paths and were lost.
I have heard these verses probably hundreds of times in my life, but this morning was the first time that I feel like I learned something from them. I realized that in many ways we are living these verses right now. The world laughs and mocks our values and beliefs as Latter Day Saints. They tell us that we are old fashioned and need to get with the times. We are made to be the bad guys when we do not accept things like gay marriage. Many members are like those in verse 28 who become ashamed and start to believe those who mock us.
I have come to the conclusion that as long as the world mocks us, it is a reminder that we must be doing the right things. In many ways we live in very wicked times, but if we remove ourselves from the world, and open our eyes and look around us, we will see all that God has blessed us with. There is still so much good in the world! I need to do all that I can to hold fast to the Iron Rod and to shut out those who mock and judge. I am so grateful for my knowledge of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and for all those truths that keep me grounded on what is right and wrong.
It is such a contrast to be here in Old Nauvoo where we continually testify of the restored gospel and of Jesus Christ. People who first come may feel it is a little awkward because the world does not talk about spiritual things at all. It is like a zion society here. We must establish a zion society wherever we live, especially in our homes.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your thought-provoking comments, Jylsiha!