Friday, August 5, 2016

Stake day camp for our activity day girls

I am currently serving as a stake Primary President and I love it! I am over all the primary kids in my stake ages 18 months to 12 years old.  This spring we started plans for a stake activity day girls day camp (mouthful) This is for all girls ages 8-11.  There are day camps you can pay to attend but not all wards have the budget to go. We were excited for the opportunity to have all our stake girls mingle and get to know one another more too. Being the first week in August we were not sure the turnout we would get, but out of the 60 total possible, we had 53 girls come! A few girls were ones that come from hard home lives and it meant a lot to me to have them come and to see the smiles on their faces! I even overheard one girl say this was the best day of her life! another said, "we got ring pops and water balloons, it doesn't get any better!" I am so glad they were so easily entertained! As a presidency we went through the faith in God book and picked some goals that could be passed off, and other stations we just played and had fun! When the girls first arrived they made journals that they would use throughout the day and hopefully after. Then we had them choose a bandanna. They had no idea this bandanna color determined their groups. The girls were all good sports about it. They spent the next hour and a half rotating around 6 different stations. We had a poem writing, service activity, missionary letter writing, water balloon races, scripture scavenger hunts, and a candy journal writing activity. After the rotations, we had lunch together and served the girls snow cones. After a fun relaxing lunch we went outside for some group activities. We had games like giant jenga, farkle, and kickball planned, but our awesome counselor in the stake Presidency, President Wright brought an activity that topped them all!! It had been super windy so we had to move many activities indoors. He decided to bring his para sail from his boat. We tied it to the pavilion and let the girls para sail. Sadly right at this point the wind started to die down and we couldn't get enough wind to pick all the girls up. Only a handful were able to sail, but it provided entertainment and laughter for all there! I was helping with the parachute and pulling it down when it was time. They wind kept blowing the parachute back and forth and I found myself either chasing it or running for my life from it! I swear my legs were so tight the next day from all the running haha. At one point we got a good gust and it picked President Wright up off the ground with the rope. I couldn't express enough what a great day it was! I think this will be a tradition for years to come. A huge thank you to all the leaders who came to help too. It took a huge group effort to pull it all off. 

































No comments:

Post a Comment