Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Carters Anxiety

A few years ago Carter had anxiety to the the point where he could no longer enjoy the simple things in life. He didn't want to ride his bike for fear of crashing. He was afraid to play basketball for fear of getting hit with the ball. He would get sick and throw up all the time, especially on Fridays. He was afraid he wouldn't get a 100% on his spelling test. Everything made him nervous and he wasn't able to enjoy just being a kid. We finally decide to take him to our Dr, Dr. Southwick and talk about treatment options. He said we needed to put him on Anxiety meds. He explained that many times people who don't treat their depression or anxiety, later turn to drugs and alcohol to try to self treat the symptoms.  We were nervous about doing this but decided to give it a try. We could not believe the difference it made within a couple weeks!! He was back to his old self again!! Riding bikes, playing basketball, and doing crazy kid stuff that makes every mom nervous. He even lost his nerves at school and was able to enjoy it again. Now fast forward a couple years, he is still doing amazing!! I am so glad we made the decision to give him the medication. I know it is an individual choice with each family, but I love that my son can be a normal kid and enjoy his youth!! Hopefully one day when he gets older we can try going of the meds and see if he can manage it on his own, but until them I am so grateful for modern medicine that has blessed my sons life!!



I love these pictures, because they are proof that we made the right choice. He loves to try crazy tricks on his bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment