Yesterday I ran my first ever 5K race! It seems like something simple to most people, but its a huge deal to me! Ever since I hurt my knee 13 years ago, running has been painful and not fun for me. But when I went to the dr last year about my knee he motivated me. He told me that no matter what I do, I will probably never be able to run again because of the scar tissue, arthritis and lack of cartilage in my knee. I felt like I was to young to not be able to do something as simple as running. When my friends asked me to do this 5k several months ago I was really excited to do it even though I knew I would have to walk it. Then I got nervous and never signed up. After my amazing experience at Martins Cove I decided I can do anything I set my mind to do, so I signed up! My friend Brecca Hammond ran by my side the whole race. I was so nervous to have her run with me because I didnt want to hold her back from running. I am so glad she stayed with me though because she pushed me to do my best. We only stopped 3 times to walk for about 50 yards or so each time, and then started running again. I quickly realized it was easier to just keep running than it was to stop and get going again. We finished the race in about 35 minutes which was a personal best for me! Never in my life have I ran that far all at once. It felt amazing to accomplish something I never thought was possible before. I am excited to do it again too!

Brecca and me!
I cant figure out how breccas face is so clean!!
My sister in law Megan also ran the race
and so did Jill (my other sister in law)
Jill, Megan and me after Jill and Megan drenched each other in color!
Team Legacy Dental. Even though I am not an employee of Legacy Dental, they let me join their picture because I am their #1 Patient! haha
Way to go Jylisha!
ReplyDeleteGood work Jylisha! You have inspired me! I have been up and down with the whole running thing, but I finally decided not to x it off. One day... One step at a time!
ReplyDelete