Monday, February 11, 2013

weightloss lessons

I have learned a lot about gaining and loosing weight in the last 10 years and after having 4 kids. I think I have finally figured it all out this time. Here are a few things I have learned.
1. Exercise is not enough, I have to eat healthy too. It is really hard at first, but it gets easier, and become habit after a while. I totally recommend using "my fitness pal" It has made it so much easier.
2. set small achievable goals.- Every time I look at the big picture it becomes to overwhelming. But If I say to myself that I have to complete this one 6 week program, than I can do it. Then in 6 weeks, set another goal that I can achieve.
3. Reward yourself cause your worth it- I have learned to find joy in the little successes. It may be loosing one inch, or a half pound or even that I worked out and ate healthy every day for a week, it doesn't matter, every little success if a part of the big ending result! I like to reward myself after I accomplish every goal. For example, my last goal was to stay under my calorie goal and exercise 5 days a week for 6 weeks. If I did that, I got a new pair of jeans. Every time I wanted to quit, I thought of fitting into those new jeans, and it motivated me to keep going.
4. NEVER, NEVER cut out all your favorite foods- I read an article from a health nut lady once who said that she ate chocolate everyday. I have learned that if you cut out everything you enjoy, then eating healthy is just a punishment instead of a life style change. I love to bake! In the past I would bake cookies and eat like 5 at a time, now I limit myself to 1. It is all about moderation.
5. Don't let your situation be an excuse- In the past to work out, I would go to the gym. I love spin classes, like love love love them!! After having Parker, my spin class and the gym had to go, there just wasn't time with 4 kids and a baby who never sleeps, and I couldn't risk illness to a new born by taking him to the gym daycare. I had to result to working out at home. I have found workouts that I enjoy and a good support group to help me.
These are just a few lessons I have learned. I am sure there going to be more as I continue my journey to a healthier me. So far I have lost 30 pounds, and many inches. I am exited to see how much more I can do!!
I couldn't find a good before picture. (probably for good reason) but here is my after pic!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! You look amazing Jylish! It would be cool to see your before picture.. if you have one! :)

    ReplyDelete