As a family, my siblings and I decided we wanted to do a service project this year for Christmas. We wanted to teach our children about the importance of giving to others too. We also decided that we would not do the adult gifts this years either, instead this service party would be our gifts to each other. I think it was my sister in law Megan who came up with the idea (sorry if I am wrong) to make heat packs for all the cancer patients to use while they receive there chemotherapy. I guess they can get very cold why they receive there treatments, so the heat packs help out a lot. Everyone had there assignments and we gathered the fabric, and bags upon bags of rice, and fabric markers, and of course tons of food! My mom made her famous chicken noodle soup!! We decided to have all the kids write messages on the heat packs, and draw pictures for the cancer patients to look at. They turned out so cute! I think some of them will give the patients a good laugh. my nephew Easton, age 9 wrote on one pack, " dont get shot in the butt by cancer" and then drew a guy getting shot in the butt with a gun. Who knows what that should mean, but hopefully it will give someone a good laugh. other packs said things like "get better soon", or "warm wishes" or "beat cancer". The cutest heat packs were decorated by the little kids. Pictures of people with arms and legs coming right off the head because they dont know how to draw a body yet, or just simple scribbles. It was such a neat experience.
The fun didn't stop there! After we finished the heat packs, the fun and games began. My sister in Law Jill played a game with all the kids. They sat in a circle and in the middle were a bunch of gifts. The kids would roll a pair of dice and if they rolled doubles, they could pick a present from the gift pile. In the end everyone ended up with a gift. They were so excited to open their presents to reveal 2 liters of soda, or boxes of candy!
Why the kids played there games, another game was taking place.....
Cameron, Derek, Dad, Grant and myself, played a good old fashion game of PIG. I am very proud to announce that I was not the first one out! I actually did quite well considering I was wearing a pair of high heal dress boots. After almost breaking my ankle, I removed the boots and played in my socks. Grant kept the game interesting when he kept draining 3 pointers. Eventually though, Derek won.
The kids all had fun, the adults had fun, we all ate until we were about sick, and we were able to serve people who truly deserved it. It was easily the best Eddie Christmas Party Ever! I hope it can be a new tradition.
That looks like so much fun! It must be tons of fun to have a big family like that and to do a big service project together. Hopefully someday my family can all get together during the same holiday and do something like that! Until then, you should give us all more service ideas! I've been reading tons of books about Christmas giving and such and I'm in such a service mood, but I have problems thinking up good things. You should blog about that.
ReplyDeleteThanks Melinda :) I do love having a big family on both sides. I dont know what I would blog about on serving. All I can say is when you have a prompting, act on it! Its really cool to see what happens when you have a thought, act on it and you can bless someones life. Even if its just a plate of cookies to brighten their day. :)
ReplyDelete