Friday, April 5, 2013

Spring Break

We decided to go to Salt Lake with our friends the Thuernagles for spring break this year. It was such a needed get a way! We got so lucky when we scored rooms at the Kimball, a historic building right across the street from Temple Square.
This is us walking from our hotel. What a view!!

Our first day their it was cold and rainy so we went to this place in Sandy called Planet Play. All of Grants co-workers raved about it, so we gave it a try. That place was horrible!!! We payed for all you can eat buffet and attractions for 2 hours, and originally thought we were getting a pretty good deal. It was a pizza pasta and salad type buffet. There was hardly any pizza, no pasta sauce, no forks, no straws..... one of the plates I got had a old crusted gold fish stuck to it!! Eventually we decided to skip the food (or lack there of) and go for all the games! There were bumper cars, go carts, mini bowling and golf, and tons of arcades. sounds like a kids dream right? nope!! The go carts were shut down, and the bumper cars had a 20 min wait for 3 bumper cars! Only about 5 of the arcade games were free with our pass, and the rest cost a fortune! Eventually I complained and they gave us another hour of play and $5 worth of tokens a piece. That made it a little better, especially since the go carts eventually re-opened. We had a ton of fun driving those!! 
We spent some time at the City Creek shopping center across from Temple Square. They have a creek with live trout in it running through the inside of the mall! The kids loved looking at the fish! 


On our second day in Salt Lake we went to Hoggle Zoo! It was our first time going, and it was soooo worth it!! I could have spent hours just looking at the apes! The kids loved seeing all the exotic animals, but I think the best part was a new addition to the zoo. There was a underground area where you could watch the sea lions dive and swim in the water. I don't know why but it was so fascinating!! We even rode the carousel after.













After the Zoo we had the most amazing lunch at a Chinese restaurant called P.F. Changs!! Lets just say I took the leftovers home and ate them for breakfast the next morning!! We took the kids to tour the Joseph Smith Memorial Building that night while we waited for a table at the Cheesecake Factory. (they took their Thai pasta off the menu so I am never going back haha) It was so amazing looking at all the detail that was put in to the construction of that building! I didn't know that it use to be the Hotel Utah, and one day the Church decided to tear it down because it was to difficult to complete with all the other new hotels. President Hinckly suggested that they convert it into the Joseph Smith Memorial Building, so that is what they did.

We also visited a new place called Scheels. It is like a cabellas, or bass pro shop. The kids spent most of the time riding the escalator, and playing on the exercise equipment. Scheels had a full size faris wheel inside the store, and Grant rode it with the girls, and Carter and Joey went together. I have a tiny fear of heights, so I just cheered from the ground. It was so awesome having Aubry Theurnagle on the trip! She is 12 years old and Parker loved her!! She packed him around all week, and I loved it!!!!










We spent the last day touring Temple Square. The coolest part was the second floor of the Church History Museum. It is all a kids interactive play area. The kids literally could have spent the whole day their!!
By the end of our 3 days we were spent! It was time to go home. It was sad that the week ended to quick, but we had so much fun!  All the kids had a blast together, and got along so well! They were all pleased with such simple entertainment like riding the elevator at the Kimball (until they got in trouble, whoops) or Joey and Carter playing Mind craft on their I pods in the lobby. They are memories we will never forget!
















No comments:

Post a Comment